However, negotiations failed to develop and the striker moved to AC Milan on a £16m season-long loan with an option to buy as part of a swap deal involving Leonardo Bonucci.
The 18-year-old impressed during the Blues' pre-season but has made only two competitive starts under Maurizio Sarri, prompting speculation over his long-term future. Chelsea are now struggling with both their No.9; Alvaro Morata and Olivier Giroud keeping on misfiring.
Clear, Sunny & Cold For Your Christmas
Things will get a little messier in the days following Christmas as a large storm system takes aim on the region. Cold temperatures will great you outside on this Christmas morning with mostly cloudy skies.
Sarri said: "I like him very much".
"I have two and a half strikers at the moment, Higuain plays for Milan".
"But I don't want to talk about Higuain".
Chelsea has struggled to finish this season, evident in their 1-0 loss to Leicester City over the weekend where Marcos Alonso and Eden Hazard both found the woodwork on simple opportunities to finish.
Trump ignites Twitter storm after Christmas call with child
While working on Christmas Eve keeps technicians away from family and friends, it is still a mission they look forward to. Today, volunteers still take calls and handle thousands of calls and emails from around the world.
On Hazard he added: "There isn't a best position for Hazard".
At the same time, Morata is valued at around €45m, a massive drop from the sum they paid to get him from Madrid.
The Chelsea boss has built his midfield around Jorginho, the Brazilian he brought with him from Napoli, but Fekir offers a different kind of threat.
Assistant coach Gianfranco Zola admitted earlier this week that the club hold an interest in Bournemouth's Callum Wilson while it is understood a bid for Borussia Dortmund's Christian Pulisic is in the works.
Rodolfo D'Onofrio: 'Real Madrid not close to Exequiel Palacios signing'
Santiago Solari shared the credit for Real Madrid's record-breaking Club World Cup triumph with former head coach Zinedine Zidane. No matter where you are in the world, you can see what channel the Real Madrid vs Al Ain match is available on here .
- Order signed for U.S. military's Syria exit - USA
- Canada demands China immediately release citizens detained in ‘retaliation’ arrests
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Will Still Run Despite Government Shutdown
- Luis Gutierrez: Trump's border policies would have killed Jesus
- Fred in for Solskjaer’s first home match but Martial misses out
- Dreaming of a white Christmas? It’s snow go this year, sadly
- Did Trump Just Ruin Christmas for One 7-year-old Child?
- UEFA Champions League Draw - The Last 16
- Zero Weekend Box Office | Shah Rukh Khan | Anand L. Rai | #TutejaTalks
- What is in the Bi-Partisan Criminal Justice Reform Bill?