"When I was coming to this country, I heard about it's promises", she said.
As of 9:46 p.m. on November 6, media outlets have also declared Andy Levin, Debbie Dingell, and Brenda Lawrence winners in their respective U.S. House races.
The Military Deployment to the US-Mexico Border
But military officials emphasized that the temporary tents were only to house additional CBP personnel being sent to the border. Trump said last week that rocks thrown by immigrants should be considered a firearm, and that the military would fight back.
She also recognized Michigan's Rashida Tlaib who is also Muslim for winning.
She was born on July 24, 1976, to working-class Palestinian immigrants in Detroit and is the eldest of 14 children.
Pressley stunned the political establishment in September, defeating a 10-term incumbent in the Democratic primary, and was unopposed on Tuesday. Along with being one of the first Muslim women in Congress, Omar is the first Somali-American elected to the post.
Magic Johnson reportedly 'admonished' Luke Walton over slow start in meeting
Him and JaVale go at it every day when we practice. "The numbers say we're 11th but it doesn't feel like it, but we are". So if I'm talking, I'm going to explain myself no matter what the situation is.
She won the Democrat primary for the seat in August with around a third of the total vote share.
The 42-year-old Tlaib is a Palestinian-American.
MA and CT will also send black women to Congress as firsts for their states, while Arizona and Tennessee are getting their first female senators.
"I want them to know as I uplift the families of the 13th Congressional District, I'll uplift them every single day being who I am as a proud Palestinian-American woman", she added, noting that for "so many years" Palestinians have "felt dehumanized".
Prince Charles in Gambia for first leg of Africa trip
While the Prince of Charles has previously visited Ghana and Nigeria, the royal couple will be visiting Gambia for the first time. Traditionally, the British and Asante people have enjoyed long-standing ties and this dates back to more than three centuries.
The result of the elections means that the Republicans no longer hold both wings of the United States congress, handing President Donald Trump's political opponents a stronger foothold in Washington.
- Boeing Issues Bulletin for 737 Max After Indonesia Jet Crash
- Khashoggi's fiancée asks Trump to press Saudis on location of his body
- Michigan, Missouri and Utah vote to legalize marijuana in midterm election
- Ireland Rejects British Emergency Plan on Brexit
- Trump is Making Nigeria Great Again!
- Samsung's New 'One UI' Comes With A Cleaner & More Intuitive Design
- Chinese vice president meets visiting Pakistani prime minister
- SHOCKER: Even Taylor Swift Can’t Elect A Democrat In Tennessee
- Rashford's injury-time strike gives Man Utd win at Bournemouth
- Liverpool could have easily beaten Arsenal - Robertson