Relations between the world's two largest economies soured sharply this year, with US President Donald Trump vowing on Thursday to inflict economic pain on China if it does not blink. "We were led badly when it came to trade", Trump told "Fox & Friends".
However, an oil trader told Reuters that refinery run rates have been on the rise last month, suggesting demand for fuels was improving.
He also blamed previous US presidents for allowing China to pursue unfair trade practices and said he had to tell Beijing, "It's over".
Trump has made similar accusations, although security experts say they didn't know of any Chinese influence operations comparable to Russian activities during the 2016 presidential election.
Hurricane Michael devastates Florida with ferocity 'like nothing we've seen before'
Michael was the fourth hurricane to make landfall in the U.S.as a Category 4 storm in the past 14 months. "Could be even years". One of the four victims from Florida has been identified as Steven Sweet, the Gadsden County sheriff's office said.
The September surplus with the US was larger than China's overall trade surplus of $31.69 billion for the month. But Mnuchin said this possibility didn't concern him because it would be contrary to Beijing's economic interests to start dumping its Treasury holdings.
China's trade surplus with the United States widened to a record $34.1 billion in September as exports to the USA market rose by 13 percent over a year earlier despite a worsening tariff war.
Exports jumped 14.5 percent for September on-year, beating forecasts from analysts polled by Bloomberg News, while imports rose 14.3 percent on-year.
"The way the US has structured the tariffs encourages frontloading because firms that know they're going to hit with tariffs would rather pay 10 percent than 25 percent", he said.
Jeremy Hunt warns Saudi Arabia over disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ ) has been documenting the increasingly harsh treatment of journalists in Saudi Arabia. Khashoggi, 59, went missing last Tuesday while visiting the consulate for paperwork to marry his Turkish fiancée.
For January-September, China's trade surplus with the United States was $225.79 billion, compared with about $196.01 billion in the same period a year ago. Export numbers have been buoyed by producers rushing to fill orders before American tariffs rose.
- China said Friday it is in contact with the United States amid reports of a planned meeting between President Xi Jinping and President Donald Trump next month following a dive in the US stock market blamed partly on a growing trade war between the world's two largest economies.
The yuan has fallen for weeks against the USA dollar, dropping nine percent in the past six months, which mitigates the rise in the price of Chinese goods caused by punitive U.S. tariffs. But that might hurt China's economy by encouraging an outflow of capital. The central bank has tightened controls on currency trading to head off further declines.
United Nations 'concern' over Khashoggi disapperance relayed to Saudis
The tension between the two countries is nothing new - their mutual dislike goes back to the days of the Ottoman Empire. Spokesman Ibrahim Kalin says the proposal to set up the committee was made by Saudi Arabia.
- Florida, Alabama bracing for 'monstrous' Hurricane Michael
- Turkey accuses 15 Saudis of hiding and killing Khashoggi
- Ruby Rose unveiled as Batwoman: First image has fans swooning
- ‘Venom’ Devours $80M; ‘A Star Is Born’ Shines Bright with $42M
- NOAA maps show street-by-street views of Hurricane Michael's destruction
- Record-breaking ‘hell’ storm Michael mauls US
- Trump's Former Communications Director, Hope Hicks, Has Landed a New Gig
- Watch Hurricane Michael make landfall on Florida webcams
- Why farmers are forcing climate change into the spotlight
- US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley resigns