The dire reviews seem to have done nothing to keep folks away from Venom over the weekend as it pulled in $80 million, breaking the opening weekend record for October by around $25 million (set by Gravity in 2013). That's an worldwide record for an October opening, Variety reports.
Box office stats courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
There was also controversy involving Venom and its only true opponent for the box office, A Star is Born (which made a little over $41 million).
Senate moves to final vote on controversial Trump's Supreme Court pick Kavanaugh
Murkowski said she'd use an obscure procedure that lets one senator offset the absence of another without affecting the outcome. Banks said Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley's statements about the offer during the hearing confused Ford.
But "Venom" carries a awful 32% on the tomatometer and scored a recording breaking box office debut anyway. Considering it was directly competing with A Star Is Born, which also took more than $40m, that's pretty damn impressive. The Tom Hardy starring comic book film will break the record for an October movie debut by the time the box offices close on Sunday night. All of which suggests the aliens are going to absolutely love the Venom/A Star Is Born cross-over film someone is frantically pitching as we speak.
The consensus reads, "Venom's first standalone movie turns out to be like the comics character in all the wrong ways - chaotic, noisy, and in desperate need of a stronger attachment to Spider-Man".
UN Says Canada Needs to Cut Emissions to Stop Catastrophic Climate Change
In places like the American Southwest, warming is already affecting snowpack, forest die-offs, water supplies and wildfire season. In 2016 they were nearly twice that, and the Canadian government's current aim is to only cut to about 512 million tonnes a year.
Katy Perry is clearing up any confusion over whether she meant to shade Lady Gaga and "A Star is Born" earlier this week.
A bankable Oscar-bait movie and a hit superhero flick?
Ruby Rose unveiled as Batwoman: First image has fans swooning
In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope. In the photo, Rose is showing off fiery red hair, a black and red catsuit, and, of course, Batwoman's signature mask.
- Tua Tagovailoa opened Alabama's game vs. Arkansas with a ideal stat line
- Trump's Former Communications Director, Hope Hicks, Has Landed a New Gig
- Former first daughter Barbara Bush ties the knot in Kennebunkport
- Cristiano Ronaldo in contention for third successive Ballon d'Or
- Dana White says Conor McGregor wants rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Meng under investigation: China breaks silence on Interpol director disappearance
- Kanye to meet with Trump at the White House
- US Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley resigns
- Google Pixel Slate with Chrome OS, detachable keyboard leaked
- Bring on Boston: Yanks rout A's 7-2 in wild-card game