Trump's announcement that he would double tariffs on metal imports from Turkey came less than an hour after Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan urged his country to help him defend the nation against an "economic war".
Bin Laden raid commander to Trump: revoke my security clearance too
Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Trump's press secretary, insisted on Wednesday the White House wasn't targeting only Trump critics. Brennan said in a New York Times piece after his security clearance was revoked that there was collusion between Mr.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call to boycott US products, specifically the smartphones made by California tech giant Apple, was met with several videos online that see a few especially patriotic Turks destroying their mobile devices with sledgehammers, rocks, shotguns and even fire, CBS reported.
The currency had rebounded some 6 percent on Wednesday after the central bank squeezed lira liquidity in the market, effectively pushing up rates and supporting the currency.
Last Friday, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had authorised higher tariffs on aluminium and steel imports from Turkey.
"We feel that Turkey, and specifically President Erdoğan, have treated Pastor Brunson - who we know to be a very good person and a strong Christian who's done nothing wrong - very unfairly, very badly", replied Sanders.
Erdogan: The collapse of the lira is a conspiracy against Turkey
He again accused the United States of sacrificing Turkey for U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson, sued in Turkey on charges of terrorism. On August 10, Trump announces he has doubled steel and aluminium tariffs on Turkey to 50 percent and 20 percent respectively.
The Turkish ambassador added that Turkey needed to "keep this fire alive" by keeping high-level political ties and strengthening investments and trade.
Erdogan has called on Turks to exchange their dollars for lira in order to shore up the domestic currency.
The escalating dispute between the two countries has exacerbated Turkey's economic crisis, pushing the lira to record lows.
Parliament car crash: What's happening in Westminster?
London police say that a auto has crashed into barriers outside the Houses of Parliament and that there are a number of injured. Police are treating an attack on the Houses of Parliament as a "terrorist incident", they have confirmed.
- Idris Elba Tweets Cryptic James Bond Message After Week Of Speculation
- Schlereth: Kelly promotion signals Broncos will bring in veteran QB
- North and South Korean leaders to meet in Pyongyang in September
- Halep topples Garcia in straight sets to reach Montreal semis
- Trump calls ex-'Apprentice' star turned White House aide a 'dog'
- US Urges UK to Ditch Support for JCPOA
- Ex-White House staffer releases tape of her firing
- This Indian politician to attend Imran Khan’s swearing-in ceremony
- Trump says "Apprentice" producer told him there's no "N-word" tape
- Bound Honda Civic facelift revealed