"We're being surprised. Every year is teaching the fire authorities new lessons", Governor Jerry Brown told reporters.
The Carr Fire in northern California, the largest and most destructive of 16 major blazes in the state, is exhausting firefighting resources in what authorities are calling one of the worst and earliest fire seasons in years.
The largest blaze burned in the Redding area, in Shasta County north of Sacramento.
More than 4,000 fire personnel are battling the flames, but triple-digit heat, shifting winds, dry fuel and steep terrain are working against them, officials said.
Josh Lister and his family lost their home and belongings after the fire swept through Redding, a city of nearly 100,000 people.
North Korea Returns Remains of Korean War Dead to US
Reports last week suggested that a separate North Korean site used to develop missile engines was dismantling its facilities. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo acknowledged last week that North Korea was continuing "to produce fissile material ".
The fire continues to threaten 1,658 structures. Jerry Brown. "All that is the new normal that we will have to face".
Watch an aerial video of the California fires.
In General the current forest fires were the sixth-scale destruction in the history of California.
- The forward spread of the so-called Western Fire in Mendocino County has been stopped and is 50 percent contained, Cal Fire officials tweeted Wednesday evening.
Kohli's half century guides India to 160 for six at tea
Ben Stokes then got in on the act to remove Ajinkya Rahane (15) and Dinesh Karthik (0 ) to collect his 100th Test wicket. Umpire Aleem Dar turned down the appeal but DRS overturned the decision as England finally got their breakthrough.
Our crews spent the next 24 hours providing structure defense as the fire devastated the Redding area.
Law enforcement officials said the last four people reported as missing were found safe on Wednesday.
"We recognize that as people enter back into their neighborhoods, they're going to know people, family members and neighbors that have lost homes", Moore said. The Ferguson Fire, which has burned 63,798 acres, is 39 percent contained.
CalFire says the blazes about 14 miles (22 kilometers) apart are threatening 12,000 homes.
- more than a quarter of what it has pegged for fires, state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesperson Mike Mohler said Wednesday.
Fulham sign Aleksandar Mitrovic and move closer to Alfie Mawson deal
The deal should pave the way for Aleksandar Mitrovic to move to Fulham , providing the London club can stump up the cash. We want to keep making big things, and with all the fans behind us I think we can go far'.
- Tesla posts record $717 million net loss in second quarter
- Grace Mugabe could stand trial for assault after immunity revoked
- Scientists: 1st sighting of dolphin hybrid is no 'wholphin'
- Zimbabwe awaits results as election officials count ballots
- Apple inches closer to $1T market cap after record-setting third quarter
- Manchester United problems increase with Ander Herrera and Eric Bailly injuries
- San Antonio Aquarium Recovers Shark Stolen in Baby Stroller
- North Korea 'making new missiles' despite United States pledge
- Trump willing to shut down government over wall
- Trump rally attendee holds up sign linked to conspiracy theory