A crowd capped at 90,000 spectators roared its approval as the imposing chestnut colt prevailed for the sixth time in less than four months in a whirlwind campaign that allowed him to join Seattle Slew as the only undefeated Triple Crown winners.
American Pharoah ended a 37-year Triple Crown drought in 2015.
Mo Salah Claims He'll Be Ready For Uruguay Game
"Moments later, I also thought about the possibility of not playing in the World Cup and that was a devastating thought". Following their clash with Uruguay, Egypt will meet hosts Russian Federation on June 19 and Saudi Arabia.
Gronkowski, named for the National Football League player, finished second, having been last for much of the race.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report. Seventy-six days later, he won the Kentucky Derby, the first horse to do so without having run as a 2-year-old since Apollo in 1882.
Justify began his racing career on February 18, a scant 77 days before the Kentucky Derby.
Smith, with two previous Belmont Stakes victories to his credit, had him out front the entire time, keeping his silks clear as the rest of the field got caked in dirt.
Fekir on verge of sealing Liverpool switch
Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid are also reportedly interested in the French worldwide - but Liverpool are now in the driving seat.
His human handlers also made history. Majority he has already beaten, in either the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness, but there are a few new faces. Would Justify fall victim to the fatigue and bad luck that had marked 13 failed Triple Crown bids between 1978 and 2015? He didn't compete as a 2-year-old. So, Justify's jockey, Mike Smith, would gross $80,000.
Vino Rosso finished fourth, followed by Tenfold, Bravazo, Free Drop Billy, Restoring Hope, Blended Citizen, and Noble Indy. His shot at becoming the 13 Triple Crown victor came just 111 days into his career.
"It never gets old", Baffert said, adding, "American Pharoah, he'll always be my first love". At the inaugural Belmont Stakes, which took place in 1867 at Jerome Park Racetrack in New York City, the owner of the winning horse took home a prize of $1,850 and an English riding saddle.
Stanley Cup: Capitals one game from title after feasting on Golden Knights
The Golden Knights have not held the lead since Game 1 and have been outscored 10-3 since winning the opener. The Nationals' best-ever local TV rating was a 16.7 for Game 5 of their playoff series against the St.
- Natural disaster hits Kilauea summit, sending ash plumes up to 8,000 feet
- White House aide who joked about John McCain's ill health is out
- Rajinikanth's Kaala Screens In Karnataka, But Only After Protests
- Hundreds More Hawaii Homes Destroyed as Lava Surge Fills Coastal Bay
- Amazon buys rights to 20 Premier League games a season
- Scarborough: 'God Bless Paul Ryan for Speaking Out' Against Trump's Pardon Claim
- Rose tells family not to come to Russian Federation over racism fears
- NBA finals schedule: When is Cavs vs Warriors Game 3?
- Drone Saves Man's Life From Kilauea Volcano Disaster in Hawaii
- Trump sticks with hard line on trade as showdown looms at G7