Mahoney played the iconic role of Martin Crane for all 11 seasons of the popular sitcom until 2004. Other film credits include Eight Men Out (1988), Say Anything (1989), Reality Bites (1994) and Dan in Real Life (2007).
Born in Blackpool in 1940 to a family evacuated from wartime Manchester, Mahoney later emigrated to the USA where he was granted citizenship after service in the military, according to a biography on online entertainment database IMDb.
A year earlier, in 1951, he had travelled to IL to visit his sister Vera - who had married an American sailor during the war - and the USA made such an impression on him that he returned eight years later under her sponsorship.
He was living in Chicago, where he was employed as the editor of The Journal for the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
Gerard Pique defends celebration after 'special' goal against Espanyol
Gerard Pique remains unapologetic after hushing Espanyol supporters as he celebrated scoring Barcelona's equaliser in a 1-1 draw at the Cornella-El Prat on Sunday.
John appeared in about 30 movies, including five as a voice actor for animated movies Antz and The Iron Giant.
Julian Assange arrest warrant still stands, court rules
She said the Ecuadorean government is seeking a "dignified and just" solution in his case with the British government. British Judge Emma Arbuthnot said she was "not persuaded" the warrant should be withdrawn, according to the AP.
David Hyde Pierce, who played his son Niles and who won the 1999 Golden Globe over Mahoney, said in his acceptance speech at the time: "The greatest honor the Academy has ever given me, is to put me in the same category with John Mahoney".
After Frasier he continued to appear in American TV shows and films including In Treatment, Burn Notice, and Hot in Cleveland.
His manager, Paul Martino, announced the death, but did not provide a cause.
Mahoney was never married. Many of his Hollywood peers took to Twitter to mourn the loss of the actor, who, by all accounts, was known as a kind and generous talent. "We were all blessed to have spent 11 glorious years together".
The 'Westworld' Season 2 Trailer Threatens To Burn Everything To The Ground
During the Super Bowl , HBO released a commercial for the sci-fi/western drama that promised a return in April. Westworld season one was the most-watched freshman series on HBO.
- California Senator Dianne Feinstein Says Trump's Nuclear Posture Review is Deeply Troubling
- 'TDP to fight for its demands, but won't leave NDA for now'
- BJP lost Rajasthan bypolls as Padmaavat wasn't banned, says Karni Sena
- US Pulling Troops from Iraq After Crushing ISIS
- Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Is The 2018 CoD Game, Apparently
- Bitcoin dipped below $6000 for the first time since November
- Karnataka- a 10% commission Govt , says Modi
- Amtrak train collides with freight train, killing 2 and injuring 70
- Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith
- FIRST REVIEW: Black Panther makes Marvel matter all over again