A woman and three children were killed in an early Monday morning house fire in Brooklyn, fire and police officials said.
At a news conference, the city's fire commissioner warned about the holiday dangers of candles, overloaded outlets and power strips.
After the flames were put out, firefighters found the body of Aliza Azan, 40, near that of her 3-year-old daughter, Henrietta, and those of her two sons, Yitzhak, 7, and Moshe, 11. The father, 45-year-old Joseph Azan, and two other children, a 16-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy, are in critical condition in the burn unit of Staten Island University Hospital.
"The fire went from the first floor front, up the stairs to the second floor, and again up the stairs into the two bedrooms in the attic, so the entire building on the inside is heavily damaged", Commissioner Daniel Nigro explained.
Billionaire founder of Canada drug company, wife found dead at home
Police said later Friday evening that they are not now seeking any suspects but are keeping an open mind on all possibilities. The company, which made its name producing generic drugs, grew to employ more than 11,000 people worldwide.
Three of the injured firefighters were hurt seriously - with smoke inhalation and a broken pelvis, the New York Daily News reported.
The Azan family was trapped by an inferno on the second floor of their Brooklyn home which climbed from one floor to the next.
"This may be the source of the fire because it was in the room on the first floor where the fire was predominately contained", the law enforcement source said.
In all, nine people were in the house: the couple, their six children and a cousin.
Carmelo Anthony Returns to New York Tonight
Even though he was unable to bring a consistent level of success to the Knicks, he admits he still misses NY . The players they have on the team are fitting in very well.
The fire broke out shortly after 2 a.m.in a home on East 14th Street in Sheepshead Bay. Azam and two of his other children suffered critical injuries.
Nigro said one of the teenagers jumped, while others in the house were able to get out a side door. He said the father was a native of Israel and had at least six children. "I'm very shocked this happened to these people", Navon told AM New York. "Hopefully, it didn't cost him his life also". During the holiday season, we all need to be cautious with decorations, electric lights, candles, space heaters and other items.
"As a parent, it's impossible for me to imagine what this family is going through right now", said Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Multiple injured after ski lift malfunctions in Tussey Mountain resort
Ski resort officials say a ski lift malfunctioned, sending one chair sliding into the chair behind it and causing a domino effect. Tussey Mountain staff told DailyMail.com that it was an "unfortunate" accident which they are now looking in to.
- Putin thanks Trump for helping to foil terror attack plot
- Twitter Suspends Source Of Donald Trump's Much-Blasted Anti-Muslim Retweets
- Trump Transition Team Is Claiming Mueller Unlawfully Obtained Campaign E-mails
- Akshay Kumar's PadMan trailer is here!
- Marvin Lewis reportedly planning to leave Bengals after season
- French privacy watchdog raps WhatsApp over Facebook data sharing
- Ryanair to meet Irish pilots' union in bid to halt strike
- WWE: Another key moment in the women's wrestling movement
- Chicago Bears vs Detroit Lions
- Updates from 2017 Las Vegas Bowl