The companies denied comment on the report Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo starred in the 1993 live-action movie, "Super Mario Bros", which was critically panned. The report also reveals that, after negotiating for almost a year, the parties are close to reaching a deal with Nintendo.
Illumination, which is owned by Chris Meledandri and Universal Studios, has produced the "Despicable Me", "Minions", and "The Secret Life of Pets" movies.
Trump calls for closer Vietnam ties
Che then referred to Trump, 71, as "President Miss Thang" when referencing the president's response to last week's mass shooting in Texas.
This news won't take many by surprise, given that Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima did reveal previous year that the company was in talks with different Hollywood studios as it wants to bring Mario to the big screen.
Nintendo is hesitant to make trade deals after several bad third-party video games almost destroyed them in the 90s.
S.Korea, US Kick off Joint Naval Exercise Involving 3 US Carriers
It's the first time since 2007 that three U.S. carrier strike groups are operating together in the Western Pacific. The last time such a convergence of military power occurred was in 2007 in waters off the USA territory of Guam.
Nintendo is keen to keep some level of control over the film, and apparently Shigeru Miyamoto is likely to be attached as a producer.
Back in 2014, Sony was in talks with Nintendo for an animated Super Mario Bros. film but a deal was never announced.
Only one film is now planned according to sources close to the talks.
Trump asked Xi to resolve Ball arrest
Several experts in Chinese law said charges and accompanying punishment will dependent on the value of the stolen goods . They were released on bail early Wednesday morning and have been staying at a lakeside hotel in Hangzhou since then.
- Three US carriers lead naval drill aimed at N. Korea
- Research suggests that sudden cardiac arrest after sex is rare but deadly
- Brady Hoke in as Vols interim head coach
- Gal Gadot threatens to exit 'Wonder Woman' sequel
- Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows hate crimes appeared to drop in Wisconsin
- Amid mixed reviews, Taylor Swift's Reputation witnesses strong sales
- Israel says downed Syrian spy drone over Golan Heights
- Google Pixel 2 XL has a problem with responsiveness at screen edges
- Day for same sex marriage vote: Trent Zimmerman
- 14 killed, 9 missing in Andhra boat tragedy