Shares in the world's biggest fast food chain rose 2.57 percent, their biggest single-day percentage gain in more than 2 months, after Longbow Research upgraded the stock to "buy". For those scoring at home, that's five winning quarters on President Barack Obama's watch and three under President Trump, who took office in January.
The dollar index, which has gained around 1 percent this week thanks to the Federal Reserve's indications for monetary policy tightening, may also be having an impact on those firms which rely on foreign earnings. He did that again on Friday, cheering the "RECORD HIGH" for the S&P 500.
Volkswagen takes new $3bn hit over diesel emission scandal
He was in charge of Audi's engine development from 2001 to 2007 before taking over the role for the entire Volkswagen Group. The additional costs will be reflected in VW's third quarter results, which will be reported next month.
In Europe, the pan-European Stoxx-600 index was around 0.03 percent.
US stock index futures were set to open little changed Friday, the last trading day of a solid third quarter of gains for stocks.
Travelers Delayed Around the World Due to Airline Software Failure
Changi Airport has earlier issued an advisory saying that a technical issue was affecting the check-in systems of some airlines. Passengers have reported problems at London Gatwick and Heathrow, as well as in Paris, Washington DC and Melbourne.
Another report showed the Chicago purchasing management index, which gauges factory activity, came in better than expected for September.
The Dow Jones industrial average closed about 40 points higher Thursday and the small-cap Russell 2000 index hit an all-time high after the release of the GOP's highly anticipated tax reform plan. For the week, the Dow rose 0.2% and the S&P rose 0.7% in their third straight weekly advance.
Thousands near Bali volcano evacuate
Aids and donations continue to arrive from various sources, from the central government, local governments, businesses and communities.
Gainers outnumbered decliners on the NYSE by 1,400 to 1,397.
- Jon Lester isn't a fan of the nachos guy from yesterday's game
- Former military man named as new leader of British UKIP
- Militants attack Kabul airport during Mattis visit, USA strike hits civilians
- Health secretary Tom Price says he'll reimburse cost of charter flights
- Canada taps Netflix amid review of TV, arts policy in online era
- Over 144000 evacuated over Bali volcano eruption alert
- Gold prices firm after comments by Janet Yellen
- Russians targeted race and other divisive issues with Facebook political ads
- Bullying may have led to fatal NYC high school stabbing: friend
- Alstom and Siemens to create 'European rail champion'