Thomas also moved into the lead with his putt at 18.
Thomas raced to the turn in 31 blows after circling birdies at 1, 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 against a single bogey at 5. But he saved his best for the final four holes.
In arguably one of the most entertaining rounds of golf ever witnessed at a major tournament, Thomas tamed the longest course in US Open history to overtake Jonny Miller's eight-under record - which he had held since 1973. However, that would have to wait until the 18th as he left it low and walked away with a birdie.
Katy Perry first to 100m Twitter followers
The tour is scheduled to begin in the U.S.in September, and the United Kingdom tour will be the concluding leg of the show . Katy Perry's former arch rival Taylor Swift is not too far behind with an impressive 85 million followers.
Tommy Fleetwood and Brian Harman are tow shots back while entering the back nine.
Miller, who can best be described as outspoken and brash, was one of the best golfers in the world during the 1970s, in many cases second only to Jack Nicklaus.
"I didn't know (what eagle putt on 18 meant)".
About 4000 More US Troops to Go to Afghanistan
Three U.S. soldiers were killed and another was wounded in eastern Afghanistan this weekend in an attack claimed by the Taliban. Yesterday afternoon, the President directed the Department of Defense to set troop levels in Afghanistan.
"I wasn't trying to make three, I was just trying to make four. So I could feel a little bit again, but I just wanted to calm myself and just try to relax over that putt".
When we spoke to Justin Thomas earlier in 2017, he had already shot a 59 and won three titles (two of which were back-to-back) this season. Every time I've been in majors so far I've put so much emphasis on them and tried so hard at them that I kind of got in my way.
Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf shot 63 in the first round of the 1980 U.S. Open at Baltusrol in New Jersey, while Vijay Singh shot 63 in the second round of the 2003 Open at Olympia Fields in IL. Because of that you can go out and play some great golf but you have a bunch of guys out there that can play some good golf as well.
Injured Capitol Police officer throws out first pitch in emotion
Griner and Bailey were widely praised on Twitter for their role in preventing a massacre on the baseball field. Chuck Fleischmann, who witnessed the incident. "My family and I will be forever grateful", Williams said.
- Wall Street edges lower after Fed raises rates
- Former PM Major: May's DUP deal is risk to Northern Ireland peace
- Blimp goes down at US Open golf tournament in Wisconsin
- Megyn Kelly No Longer Hosting Sandy Hook Benefit Over Alex Jones Interview
- Cuba Blasts Trump's Policy Speech as 'Hostile Rhetoric' That 'Reverts' Progress
- Cosby's lawyer, judge clash as jury pushes patience, clock
- Twitter unveils new design philosophy, streamlines iOS app to resemble Android
- E3 2017: Why Metroid Prime 4 Was Announced Early In Development
- Roman Polanski victim Samantha Geimer tells court to drop her rape case
- Warriors say no decision has been made on White House visit